Physical activity can be defined as any movement of the body that requires energy expenditure. Regular exercise can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing health problems such as cancer, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Physical activity and exercise can have instant long-term health benefits. Most importantly, regular activity can improve your quality of life.
Benefits of Physical Exercise
- Mental State / Mood
Physical exercise releases chemicals such as endorphins and serotonin and improves your mood. Regular exercise can reduce stress and symptoms of mental health conditions for example depression and anxiety.
- Natural energy boost
Regular physical exercise can give you a natural energy boosts as it gives your body improved quality of sleeps, endorphins, helps the body work more efficiently and helps manage your mood and inner health.
- Loss of excess body fat
Physical activity can help you achieve weight loss by burning off extra calories your body doesn’t need. Keep in mind your diet plays a huge role in either maintaining your weight or losing weight.
- Increased muscle strength
Increased muscle strength can be the outcome of exercising a specific muscle or muscle group against external resistance. Resistance training will make you stronger and fitter.
- Protects you from heart disease
This in turn means that your blood is pumped more efficiently around your body and this can help overcome problems such as those caused by cholesterol. Better circulation will prevent your extremities from getting cold, help you to have an even skin tone and prevent high blood pressure and associated problems.
- Lower blood cholesterol level
Exercising is a great way to lower your cholesterol. Exercises that help lower cholesterol can be in the form of running, walking, bike ride, swimming and resistant training.
- Improved sleep
Regular exercise can help you sleep better. Good sleep helps you regulate your mood & muscle recovery.
Steps to Becoming Fit (Physical Exercise Edition)
- Develop to right mindset
Mindset is singlehandedly the most important step to achieve your fitness goals and to ultimately become fit & healthy. Achieving a good mindset can be formed by setting goals, scheduling a time to exercise that fits within your work, life balance.
- Incorporate cardio and resistance training to your weekly schedule
Cardio exercise can be defined as movement that increases the heart and respiratory rate and increases the blood and oxygen flow throughout your body. Cardio helps burn fat, increases your lung capacity, endurance and build strength. Popular types of cardio exercises include
- Running / Jogging
- Jumping rope
Resistance training commonly known as strength training or weight training can be defined as the use of resistance to muscular contraction to build the strength, anaerobic endurance and size of muscles. Consistent resistance training helps your muscles become stronger. Popular types resistance training includes
- Weight machines
- Free Weights
- Medicine balls, kettle bells
- Resistance bands
- Your own body weight (example being squats, push-ups, chin-ups etc)
- Commit to your workout schedule
One of the most challenging part when trying to get fit is committing your time regularly to physical exercise. Some tips when it comes to commitment to your workout
- Pick a physical exercise that you enjoy the most whether that is incorporating more weight sessions, giving CrossFit a go or picking a sport to play once a week.
- Picking a suitable time to do your workout regularly
- Workout with your family and friends
- Listen to motivational music
- Reading your goals daily
- Aim for at least 30-40 minutes of physical activity every day
30 minutes to an hour of daily physical activity will give you a great chance to lose weight, build strength, endurance and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Play sports
Sport and physical activity can not only lead to becoming fit but also can promote a healthy lifestyle. Changes in the environment can have a significant impact on opportunities for participation and in addition, the conditions under the activity is taking place can heavily impact on health outcomes.
- In addition to the above eating the right foods play a huge impact on your health and becoming fit. Look through our other blogs to get an idea of what you should eat and what you should avoid.
- Consult your doctor to receive an in-depth view of what your body needs to become fit & healthy
Please find a list of programs below that can help you start your journey to become fit & healthy